This is my first time participating in this meme, which is surprising considering how many of my Spotify playlists are dedicated to characters. I have at least 5 playlists I’ve created for different protagonists of novel projects. It really helps me get into the mood and access the character’s view of the world.
The playlist I’m sharing this week is one I created for Ruth, the 16-year-old protagonist of my current YA project. Ruth’s favorite genres are Pop Punk/Post-Hardcore, but since she’s also dealing with clinical depression, I added some songs that have comforted me in hard times, songs I have cried to plenty of times.
Ruth[less]: A Playlist
- Say Anything (Else) – Cartel
- Conspiracy – Paramore
- Hit The Switch – Bright Eyes
- Everything Is Alright – Motion City Soundtrack
- Midnight: Carroll Street – Into It. Over It.
- Nobody Puts Baby In a Corner – Fall Out Boy
- Props & Mayham – Pierce the Veil
- The Walking Wounded – Bayside
- Cavanaugh Park – Something Corporate
- I Can Feel a Hot One – Manchester Orchestra
- Hammers and Strings [A Lullaby] – Jack’s Mannequin
- Fools (Acoustic) – The Temper Trap
- Grey Room – Damien Rice
- Self-Conclusion – The Spill Canvas
- Sullen Girl – Fiona Apple
- the lonely – Christina Perry
- Hero – Regina Spektor
- Fix You – Coldplay
- After the Storm – Mumford & Sons
- Let It All Out – Relient K
- Down Towards the Healing – Lovedrug
- Anti-D – The Wombats
- The Great Escape – P!nk
- The Voice Within – Christina Aguilera
- Seventeen – Alessia Cara
The full playlist is on my Spotify profile – follow me and we can be music buddies!